- What is the point of having a prom? How much money should teens spend on their prom?
- Why does Ashley call the prom a "dance" early in the book? What makes her change her mind?
- How is Carceras High like your school? How is it different?
- How does Ashley’s view of herself and her future change over the course of the novel?
- What has the biggest impact on how Ashley views herself?
- What do you think of the way Ashley’s parents are raising their family? What are their best qualities? What are their worst?
- Is TJ a good guy or a bad guy? Why?
- What is the hidden meaning in Ashley’s name?
- Some people have found references to Cinderella in this book – can you? What are they?
- How is Ashley’s happy ending different from Cinderella’s… or is it the same? Which is more realistic?
- Why does Ashley keep calling herself "normal"? Is she? Are you? Who gets to define what "normal" is for teenagers?
- Who is your favorite character? Why?
- There are curse words in this book. Is that appropriate? Can authors portray contemporary teen culture without curse words? Why or why not?
- Is the prom a success or a failure for Ashley?
- What happens to Ashley after the end of the book? What about her parents, Nat, TJ, and Adrian?
- What was the best part of your prom? What was the worst?
- Interview 5 adults about their prom experiences. How proms have changed from their generation to yours?
Hands-on Activities and Social Action Projects
Does your school have students who don’t feel welcome at official school proms or dances because of their sexual orientation, the way they dress, or any other reason? Hold an Anti-Prom! Here is one example.
Donate your special dress – spread the prom love! . If you are up for a rewarding challenge, start a dress drive in your area.